“When Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks and put them on the fire, a viper came out because of the heat and fastened on his hand. 4 When the native people saw the creature hanging from his hand, they said to one another, ‘No doubt this man is a murderer. Though he has escaped from the sea, Justice has not allowed him to live.’ 5 He, however, shook off the creature into the fire and suffered no harm. 6 They were waiting for him to swell up or suddenly fall down dead. But when they had waited a long time and saw no misfortune come to him, they changed their minds and said that he was a god.” Acts 28:3-6
Join us at HOLY FIRE!
Intimate Fellowship with HOLY SPIRIT & Each Other
Date: September 24-25 | Via Zoom or In Person (Winnipeg, Canada)
Click here for more information.
Join us Monday Nights for Bible Study on the Book of Acts on Zoom
Time: 7:00-9:00 pm (EDT)
My brother is a teacher. The students loved the miniature zoo that was once in his classroom. One day while teaching, he was quickly summoned to the office via the school intercom. He hurried to the office, only to find horrified secretaries in a stand-off with a black rat snake. Apparently, it had escaped from its cage in the classroom zoo and slithered down several floors until it reached the office. Thankfully, this was not a poisonous snake, but terrifying nonetheless.
Today, we are in the HOLY SPIRIT’s classroom, and HE is teaching us about snakes.
EXPOSING THE SNAKE AMONG US
The Bible exposes many traits of snakes. Pay careful attention, as these traits assist in teaching us to identify the snake among us.
1. The snake is crafty and deceptive. It attains its goal by indirect and deceptive means. It is manipulative and sneaky.
“Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the Lord God had made.” Genesis 3:1a ESV
“But the serpent said to the woman, ‘You will not surely die.’” Genesis 3:4 ESV
2. The snake strikes the heel, and its bite is filled with poison. Pay attention and always be on your guard! It will strike when you least expect it. It comes in quietly, almost unnoticed, and begins to tempt us; little by little it speaks to our fleshly desires. And before we know it, the snake strikes, we give into temptation, and down we go! When it strikes, we are filled with deadly poison – and it affects every aspect of our lives. The things done in secret are exposed and laid bare.
“He will strike your head, and you will strike his heel.” Genesis 3:15b NLT
“For in the end it bites like a poisonous snake; it stings like a viper.” Proverbs 23:32 NLT
3. The snake is evil and produces evil. It may be difficult to discern at first, as, remember, snakes are crafty and deceptive. It may appear to be good, helpful, considerate, etc. But it is harboring evil intent and malicious behavior in its heart. In the end, it will be exposed for its true evil nature.
“You brood of snakes! How could evil men like you speak what is good and right? For whatever is in your heart determines what you say. A good person produces good things from the treasury of a good heart, and an evil person produces evil things from the treasury of an evil heart.” Matthew 12:34-35 NLT
4. The snake reproduces. Not only does it reproduce…but its offspring are even more evil and poisonous! It must be eradicated such that it will not even have the opportunity to reproduce.
“For from that snake a more poisonous snake will be born, a fiery serpent to destroy you!” Isaiah 14:29b NLT
5. The snake is your enemy. It may look like your friend and may act like your friend at first. But don’t be deceived – it is most assuredly your enemy.
“And I will make enemies Of you and the woman, And of your offspring and her Descendant” Genesis 3:15a NASB2020
ERADICATING THE SNAKE AMONG US
The Word of GOD has taught us how to recognize snakes: it is crafty and deceptive; it strikes the heel, and its bite is poisonous; it is evil and reproduces evil. It is your enemy. Now, once we have identified the snake, what do we do? How do we protect ourselves? How do we eradicate the snake?
1. Trust GOD’s wisdom and discretion. When you hear HIS voice or sense an admonition in your spirit, listen closely and pay attention! Since the snake is crafty and deceptive, we absolutely must have an intimate relationship with the HOLY SPIRIT, such that we will hear HIS voice, heed HIS instruction, and obey HIS Word…even when everything around you seems contrary!
“…discretion will watch over you, understanding will guard you, 12 delivering you from the way of evil, from men of perverted speech, 13 who forsake the paths of uprightness to walk in the ways of darkness, 14 who rejoice in doing evil and delight in the perverseness of evil, 15 men whose paths are crooked, and who are devious in their ways.” Proverbs 2:11-15 ESV
2. Trust GOD’s power and authority working through you. HE has given you the power and the authority to eradicate the enemy, which you must utilize to be effective for HIS glory.
“Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you.” Luke 10:18 ESV
3. Trust GOD’s Fire. Take a look at the following passage:
“When Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks and put them on the fire, a viper came out because of the heat and fastened on his hand. When the native people saw the creature hanging from his hand, they said to one another, ‘No doubt this man is a murderer. Though he has escaped from the sea, Justice has not allowed him to live.’ He, however, shook off the creature into the fire and suffered no harm.” Acts 28:3-5 ESV
The “bundle of sticks” here represents us as children of GOD. Notice that the snake was among the sticks, but it was driven out because of the HEAT OF THE FIRE! The closer we come to the Fire of GOD, the more easily the snakes will be exposed, driven out and eradicated!
Now, here’s the catch – the snake may even be within you! What are you harboring that is deceptive, poisonous, and evil? What have you been holding onto, that you know it’s time to give up? The closer you come to the Fire of GOD, that snake has got to go! The Fire of GOD exposes. The Fire of GOD purifies. The Fire of GOD eradicates!
When the snake was driven out by the heat, it latched onto the closest thing around. Snakes do not like the heat. They do not like to be driven out. Trust me when I tell you – they will strike! They will not go without a fight. BUT GOD! Because of the power and authority of GOD, because of HIS assignment within us, the poisonous venom of the snake shall be of no effect.
Notice also that the Fire killed the snake. If Paul had shaken the snake to the ground, it would have lived and reproduced. The snake MUST be put into the Fire.
Brothers and sisters, it is time.
It is time for the snake among and within us to be exposed and eradicated.
Do not allow the snake to persist in your life. Do not give it habitation. It must be put into the Fire of the Living GOD and burned.
It is crafty and deceptive. It must be put into the Fire of the Living GOD.
It is evil and reproduces evil. It must be put into the Fire of the Living GOD.
It is time to expose and eradicate the snake among us…and the snake within us. In JESUS’ Name. Amen.
*All Scriptures are in the New King James Version of the Bible, unless otherwise noted.
Stay connected with your We Remnant Family.
Join us every Monday 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm night by Zoom for in-depth Bible studies.
Bible Study for children ages 7-13 is now available thanks to a partnership with Children of Praise.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel to get notifications when new videos are posted. We have a new video every week.
Like us on WeRemnant Facebook page to see videos and pictures from the field. These videos show the effectiveness of your love for JESUS expressed through generosity.
Follow us on Instagram! Yes, we have that as well.
Thank you so much.